Based on current best practice, a functional test should include all of the following components:
· Test name
· General documentation of the building, system, actual test conditions, personnel involved, time, date, etc
· Conditions under which the test is to be performed
· Test duration
· Data to be gathered
· Instrumentation methodology and locations
· Data acquisition requirements including tolerances, number of samples, etc
· Results to be obtained, including some method of documentation and any analytical calculations required
· Measurable acceptance criteria
· Precautions associated with executing the procedure
· Description of the test procedure steps in the order they are to be performed including:
1 The prerequisites required to be ready to perform the test.
2 The steps necessary to prepare for the test.
3 The actual steps in the test process.
4 The steps necessary to return the system to normal operating status.
5 Instruction regarding information that needs to be documented and a place to record this information.
In actual practice, some of the components may be addressed informally through meetings and field discussions.